The Blog

...................................

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Finding Balance...

Being a stay at home mom/photographer, I have found that I can get truly overwhelmed with well,.. Everything!! I am trying so hard to find a happy medium with all things in my life. Any suggestions? I am sure most moms feel this way at some or most points in their life. Between taking care of kids (and being good at it), spending time with loved ones, keeping up on laundry, keeping up on documenting your kids childhood (scrapbooking or blogging), homework, cub scouts, church activities or callings, messy closets, making dinner, washing dishes, being a good wife, bills, having a clean house, having "me" time, and anything else I have forgotten to mention it is a lot to take in everyday. But then with all of that,.. I am trying to have a sucessful photography business as well. I just..... want to be really good at what I do. I want to succeed and be the best I can be as a friend, a photographer, a marketer, a business owner and well... a person. With shooting sessions, editing, orders, continuing education (reading and seminars) ,mailing lists, promotions, updates, keeping clients happy and so on it gets a little overwheling to say the least. So the big question is.. How do you find a good balance? Is there enough hours in the day? I know I am a mom before anything else. I know that.
So, thinking of all this, what is it I need to do?? Prioratize. But I must say,...I love being able to do what I do. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Photography. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE my kids and family.I am glad I am growing each day and becomming better at my job (even though some days it might not feel like it) but today was a wake up point for me to really step back and not let myself get so wrapped up in work that I loose sight of what is truly important in my life. My family. Last year I really worked hard and pushed myself to the max. I shot alot and learned SO much!! But then, I traded off not spending much time with my kids. I looked at a picture of my little Drew when he was about 6 months and couldn't remember him being that small. This last year just flew by and it was like a missed a lot of my baby's first year and the year 2008 with my boys. That was kind of hard for me to take. So, not knowing quite yet exactly how to go about it I need to make some changes. Do I shoot a little less this year? I am not about to not do Photography but during these years of raising kids some things just cannot be missed. These are the years to remember and cherish. I cannot get them back.
I guess this blog entry is my little (well big) vent session. So if any of you out there have any suggestions I would be all ears. How do us moms/ business owners deal??? How do I find a good balance and feel like I am acomplishing things for myself, my family and my work? Oh the stress.....

Long post .. Thanks for the vent session....

3 comments:

Heather January 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

Ash-
I LOVE YOU! You are amazing! Hang in there. You'll figure out what is best for you and your little family. When I get really amazing at editing then I can help take some of your load off ya. ;)

Anonymous January 9, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

I don't know you, but I love lurking on your blog. It sounds like you are on the right track if these thoughts are even swirling around your head. I guess if I was in your shoes I would put a time limit on the photography in the amount of hours.....say 10-15 hours a week, which would include shoots and editing combined. Good Luck!

Fauset Photography January 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

That is the BIG QUESTION! Balance. I had to limit my sessions last year, and stick to it. No exceptions. It was really really hard to say no sometimes, but like you said, you'll never get this time back.
You'll do what's best!

Post a Comment